General Exercise Recommendations
- Warm up before you work out. “Self-spot” to make the first set of each exercise easier, warming up the associated muscles and joints.
- Be sure you are in correct position for each exercise or station. Protect your back by maintaining good alignment (neutral spine) at all times. When using the EQualizer, consult the chart or your trainer for exercise description and proper equipment adjustment. Make note of the correct position for each exercise on a workout card.
- Start at a fairly easy level. In general, perform 3 sets of 10 repetitions for each exercise. Depending on the ease of execution, you can adjust the amount of “self-spotting” to increase or decrease the resistance.
- Move your body through the entire range of motion. Lift and lower your body slowly and smoothly. If an exercise is performed quickly, you are likely to get injured. Do not “lock” your knees or elbows when extending your arms or legs.
- Exhale as you lift your body, inhale as you lower it. Keep your breathing even and smooth throughout the entire range of motion.
- Stop if you feel pain during your workout. Reduce the amount you are lifting, and be sure you are doing the exercise correctly. A “burning” sensation in the working muscles is O.K., but joint pain is not. Some muscle soreness for a day or two after your workout is normal.
- Cool down after you work out. Stretching at this time is particularly effective, since the muscles are very warm. Increased flexibility is an essential component of muscular fitness.